Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's OK, it's Gonna be OK.

I don't know why I'm on such a fish-kick at the moment, but I recently watched The End of the Line, a documentary about how industrial fishing is about as much help to the ocean as industrial farming is to soil (the implication here being not helpful, in case you haven't had your morning coffee ). The film is interesting, informative, if not a touch over-dramatic in its portrayal of fishermen, and though it doesn't outright state that we're screwed, the film essentially leaves you not wanting to eat fish ever again. With the exception of freshwater ling-cod, of course.

So this left me in a bit of a pickle, because tomorrow I head to Norway and have been told by people that while I'm there I must eat FISH FISH FISH. In an attempt to relieve my conscience I googled "Sustainable Fishing Norway," and good news people! Norway has been ranked number one in sustainable fishing by the University of British Columbia and the WWF. Pheeeew, she says, wiping the sweat from her brow.

That's a green light for my conscience and my stomach. Thank you Norway! I can't wait to come to your clean, organized, and humidity free country.

No comments:

Post a Comment